Monday, December 13, 2010

DIY Holiday Decorations

One of the many things that I love about holidays is that you get to decorate your house for them. You can't be constantly change the decor of your every day home (unless you have tons of money, which I don't...) but you do get to mix things up a bit when holidays come around.

I love decorating. I love "DIY." I love seeing an idea in a magazine, or on a TV show, or in a store window and figuring out how to make it yourself for less. Because I live with my parents I don't get to do much of it. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I love living with my parents and am SO thankful that they're letting me stick around for a while... And they DID let me redecorate a bathroom.) But when the holidays come around, my mom and I tag team (although Mom still does more than I do, because she's a harder worker than I am...) the holiday decorating. This year I had a few projects that I got to work on, and I loved it.

1. A Christmas wreath. My cousin Christina inspired me because she made a wreath from an old one and some old materials she had laying around from her wedding decorations. I used one of our old wreaths and bought a few materials from Michael's. And voila, a $7 wreath.
2. Thanksgiving Day table decorations. A friend at church is a florist and I saw some decorated mini pumpkins like these that she had made and was inspired. We got the pumpkins for free and bought ribbon and fall silk flowers at Michael's, used some candles from past years, and tada, $4 table decorations! (For 4 different tables... not bad, eh?)
3. The girl's tree. I've shown this to you already, but it was a fun little project Mom and I worked on. Trees require a little more to spruce up, but I think we spent less than $25 to fix up our old tree from last year. And we both think it's beautiful, so we're happy. :)

Anyway, thanks for letting me talk about creativity for a while. I really enjoyed working on these projects...

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

love the wreath you made and how you wrapped the ribbon around it -- brilliant! i'm hoping to gather post christmas supplies to make a wreath for us to use next year :)

Aunt Cindy said...

Know I know you "steal" other people's pictures...is that the wreath you made? or Christina's.
I really should have you come live with me and decorate my room and bathroom.