Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Little Thing: uh... Jesus's Birth!

The last six days have all been well and good, but the truth is, all of that stuff means nothing. It's fun, and promotes love and bonding, but it really means nothing. Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ. I think a lot of people, we'll call them the "Happy Holiday" people, are trying to take Christ out of Christmas, but it's never going to happen.

I love that we celebrate Jesus's birth. Truly, Christmas is the only holiday that nearly everyone observes (ok, I know there are large crowds who don't, but in the suburban midwest, they're kind of few and far between...) and hasn't excluded religion yet. It's the one time of year where you can hear songs being played from radio station to radio station and in every store that are actually proclaiming the word of God.

I just like that we've managed to hold on to this holiday. And that for a season, it's for some reason acceptable to mention Jesus's name or invite someone to your Christmas Eve church service. Christmas time is one of the few times of the year where Jesus's presence in our talk and minds is more like it should be the rest of the year. I love Christmas for the simple fact that it's a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior.

Little Things (ok, so the birth of Jesus is not a little thing, it's a big, BIG thing) Christmas Edition Day 7: Jesus's Birth.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

So, I was checking up on your posts in my Google reader and scanned real quick and saw "Jessie's birth." WHAT?! Oh, right Jesus' birth. Great. I was worried you'd went off your rocker. But you haven't, so I say "AMEN" to your post. I was going to write something similar.

Aunt Cindy said...

Yes, you are correct. In my school, our Jewish choir teacher has our student sing the religious Christmas songs for concerts. Truly the work of God.