Thursday, December 2, 2010

Little Things: New Christmas Songs

To be honest, I have a love/hate relationship with Christmas songs that are either new Christmas songs or re-releases of classics. Sometimes I hate them. They can be awesome or they can be lame. There's this really fine line that few people have figured out how to walk it correctly. For example, Jessica Simpson's new song "My Only Wish", it errs on the side of hate. Now, I didn't say I hate it, but it's for sure more in the direction of hate than love.

But let's not focus on the negative here. There are some people who have managed to write new songs or new versions of old songs that I really love. When that happens I get really excited! Below are some of the songs that have managed to win my favor. If you're willing to let yourself steer away from the classics for a little while, I recommend that you check them out.

"Sister Winter" by Sufjan Stevens (actually, he has TONS of good Christmas stuff, his Christmas album(s) is my favorite non-classic Christmas album.)

"Carol of the Bells" by Gungor (unfortunately I can't find this song anywhere because it came from a Christmas album given to Mocha Club members. If you're interested, let me know... I'll send it your way!)

"Winter Song" by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles (pictured above)

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by the Glee Cast (don't judge, this is actually pretty good stuff...)


Little Things Christmas Edition Day 2: New Christmas Songs. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Those are some great songs!