Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Try-It Tuesday: Roasted Garlic Chicken Pesto Pizza

Tonight might as well have been called Lazy Tuesday... But I can't think of a word that has the same meaning as lazy and starts with a T, so I guess we'll just stick with Try-It Tuesday...

This weekend my friend Jessie was in town. She hung out at our house on Sunday afternoon before going over to a friend's house for dinner. She was prepared to make dinner for the people who she was visiting (who goes to someone's house and makes THEM dinner? That'd be my friend Jessie...) so she made Annie's Eats' recipe for Perfect Homemade Pizza Crust, but ended up leaving it with us because her hostesses made her dinner after all... So, that left me with pizza dough that I could do something magical with. I decided on this Roasted Garlic Pesto Chicken Pizza recipe that I found on Pinterest. Funny enough, the blogger also used Annie's pizza dough recipe... I was going to make my own pesto, but I couldn't find pine nuts... or reasonably priced basil at the grocery store. So I bought store bought pesto. (I feel like my friend Valeria would be ashamed... Sorry, V.) I decided to continue with the laziness and buy pre-grated cheese, which I don't normally do... So, basically my ingredients:

-Pizza dough - not made by me
-Pesto - not made by me
-Mozzarella cheese - not made OR grated by me
-Chicken tenders - not slaughtered by me (but I guess I did cook it)
-Garlic - roasted by me! (this was the only thing I really did...)

The recipe was pretty good. I wouldn't say it was amazing though. It could have used more pesto... or something to give it a kick. The pizza crust, which claims to be the best pizza crust out there, was also just fine to me. I don't know if it was because I didn't have a pizza stone which it called for, or what, but I wasn't as wowed as I wanted to be. (I'm sure it had nothing to do with Jessie's preparation, because she rocks in the kitchen.) Anyway... it was good, but not great. Not every week can be a home run, right? My family left the meal happy and full, which is all I can ask for.

Until next Tuesday...!
(One of these days I'm accidentally going to drop my phone in the oven.)

2 comments:

Valeria said...

Hahaha I am SO not ashamed. I use store-bought pesto all the time. And then make the occasional homemade when there's an abundance of basil in the summertime. No shame! This pizza looks delicious despite the lack of wowness.

Jessie said...

I don't use pine nuts in my pesto b/c I don't love them & they are expensive. I usually go for pecans. If you try this one again, tho I think it's sounds great, a little crushed red pepper goes a long way. I'd have probably tossed in some feta too.