Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Try-It Tuesday: Baked Chicken Pesto

Happy Tuesday! You know what that means... Abby's cooking! Get excited... for another week of (Lazy) Try-It Tuesday. Ok, it wasn't that I was lazy, just resourceful... maybe? I had pesto left over from last week's meal and wasn't sure how long it would keep and wanted to use it up so I headed to Pinterest, did the ol' search for "pesto" and had lots of options to choose from. While I really wanted to choose something like Pesto Gnocchi or Pesto Grilled Cheese or Pesto Calzones or classic Pasta with Pesto, I didn't. My mom and I were talking about how hard it's been to lose weight lately and then we realized it was because I was making junk like cream cheese laced Baked Ziti and peanut butter tumor topped Chocolate cookies (my friend Kruse gets credit for the tumor comment...) The best way to resist eating that stuff is by not making it in the first place. Genius idea, I know... So anyway, I decided to try to go a little bit more healthy this week. A little bit, I said.

I chose this recipe for Baked Chicken Pesto. It had three ingredients: chicken breast (which you know I love), pesto, and mozzarella. No cream cheese, no peanut butter, no oil, no heavy cream. That's pretty good, right? I did make some rice to go with it, but I used long grain rice, which is supposed to be better for you... right? We also had carrots (cooked and glazed like Valeria taught me in college) and strawberries (not cooked.) With all that said... the meal was a hit! If you like pesto, and chicken, and easiness... this recipe is for you.
P.S. A co-worker asked me to bake him some peanut butter cookies, and I did tonight and used this recipe... Ya'll, it was probably the best peanut butter cookie recipe I've ever had. And peanut butter cookie is my favorite kind of cookie... so this is a big deal.

P.S.(2) The whole point of this recipe was to use up my pesto... turns out I didn't have enough so in the middle of preparation I had to run to the store... Awesome. Just thought you should know.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

You can drop the extra pesto off for the Joneses. Dave loves it but Gayle doesn't, so he never gets it except when I would make him some.