Friday, May 7, 2010

Clarity... kind of.

I have become the queen of odd jobs since graduating from college: dogsitter, housesitter, babysitter, "Assistant to the Assistant Pastor of the Arts" (that's my job title at the church...), Spanish teacher, baker, tutor... This week I added proctor to that list because I have been proctoring finals at a local university. It's an easy job, I basically sit there, tell people to write in black ink, to put their name on every page, and to not cheat. I have actually really enjoyed it though... This seemingly meaningless task of giving tests to students was a lot of fun. I got to smile at them, wish them luck, get excited for them when they were finished, basically just love on them in the 30 seconds of interaction that we had. It wasn't anything grand, but the chance I had to love on people in that little interaction was really cool.

So I got to thinking, "What job can I do where I can have lots of interaction with various people so I can quickly love on them like I can here?" Then it dawned on me... open a bakery. (DUH!) I know, I know... I talk about baking all the time, but I have never seriously considered or thought it would be possible to actually open a bakery some day. Opening a bakery would allow me to do so many things I love to do: bake, love on people in quick, passing interaction (customers), love on people in meaningful relationships (co-workers), be creative, be a leader... It would allow me to do all of the things I've been gifted to do.

So I'm doing it (I think...) Here's the plan: go to culinary school (or some kind of school that focuses on baking), work at a bakery, open a bakery, the end. Is this the direction I've been looking for? Maybe... maybe not. My dad says this is the perfect time to take a risk. So I think I'm going to go for it.

3 comments:

Katie said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE GOD! :) you're gonna do great! this is toooootally how i see your future. you could even open one up in spain and speak spanish!!! (that's another story)...but maybe when you're lke 50 with your husband cuz that'd be adorable.

Anonymous said...

yes yes yes!
your dad is totally right. you should go for it! I'm imagining you being like maggie gyllenhall in stranger than fiction (minus the anarchy) or the kathleen kelly of bakeries. oh man i'm really excited for this!

Cory said...

Well you already have an awesome logo...