Friday, May 21, 2010

Didn't love it, but it's good for me.

Today I spent the majority of my day decorating three different graduation cakes. It took WAY too long. I charged $35 a cake, but I'm pretty sure after you take out the cost of ingredients I made about $3/hour. It was kind of a frustrating day to be honest with you. I spent a lot of time, and they aren't as perfected as I'd like them to be.

This isn't your typical "I love this, it's so great!" kind of post. Today was hard work. It's not a half empty situation though. Because the truth is to get good at anything you have to practice and that's what I did today. For about 8 hours. So while, no, I didn't love today, or even really love my finished products, I do love the fact that I am a little bit closer to becoming the baker that I hope to be someday. So that's good news.

(Cake descriptions: above, Kathleen's cake: chocolate cake, buttercream frosting, what is supposed to be tie-dye design on top, and "I love you, Lord; you are my strength. Psalm 18:1" written along the side; below, Robbie's cake: chocolate cake, buttercream frosting, silhouettes of worshipping kids made from chocolate candy melts; below that, Brandi's cake: white cake, buttercream frosting, musical symbols.)

4 comments:

Georgie said...

Ab, I've been to A LOT of graduation open houses and have never seen cakes like what you made for your customers. They are beautiful, creative, unique, and the essence of the graduate. Good job!!

Aunt Cindy said...

I am way impressed...a rectangular cake would have been sooooo much easier. Doing layer cakes is hard. I am also impressed with the creative decoration, did you make them all up?

Jenni said...

LOVE the second cake! Its fabulous!

Robbie Louth said...

Abby, we all LOVED our cakes! Mine (the second one) is exactly what I wanted. You are a true artist. =]