Saturday, May 1, 2010

Wedding cake.

I don't know if you know this about me... but I enjoy baking. Cookies, muffins, cakes, cupcakes, cheesecakes... I love it all. I have a long way to go before becoming an excellent baker so I love learning and expanding my knowledge of the craft of baking. Yesterday I had the chance to learn a few things about baking cake from an expert: my aunt Charlotte. She and my aunt Cindy used to (and occasionally still do) bake wedding cakes. So yesterday she passed all of her wedding cake knowledge on to me, and it was great!

Here are a few (of the MANY) things that I learned about cakes:
1. You don't ever need to bake a cake for as long as the box says. We baked our cake for 20 minutes and the box said 30-35. (Box? You used a cake mix? Yes. And it was DELICIOUS!)
2. If you wrap a strip of wet bath towel around the edge of the cake pan, it causes the cake to bake flat instead of puffing up in the middle.
3. If you freeze the cake then frost it it holds in all of the moisture. When it thaws it's magically delicious!

Well, the list goes on and on and I'm sure you don't really care. BUT, I had a great time. And now I know how to make delicious cake so if you're getting married and are daring enough to have a novice baker make your cake... you know where to find me.

1 comment:

Aunt Cindy said...

Good thing you didn't give away all the cake baking secrets. You did a wonderful job.