Monday, May 17, 2010

You've Got Mail.

Tonight I watched the movie You’ve Got Mail and was reminded of how much I love it. It came out 12 years ago, but man… it never gets old. I love that its setting is in New York and that it shows the cute, quaint parts of NYC. I love that it talks about Pride & Prejudice. I didn’t grasp the references the first time I saw it (at a basketball team sleepover in 5th grade) because I didn’t actually read Pride & Prejudice until just a few years ago. But I love them now. I love the recurring mention of coffee and bookstores (two things I love.) I love the lines in the script that make you smile, “I hear nothing, not a sound on the city streets, just the beat of my own heart.” ("Mister 152 insights into my soul!")

Most importantly, I love the main characters: Kathleen Kelly/Meg Ryan (my friend Emily recently told me she could picture me being the “Kathleen Kelly of bakeries” and it pretty much made my day because I love Kathleen Kelly) and Joe Fox/Tom Hanks (strangely, Tom Hanks is far from the most good looking man in Hollywood, but he may be one of my favorite leading men.) Ryan and Hanks have been in many movies together but I’m certain that this is my favorite.

Anyway, I just love the movie. I think I always will.

1 comment:

Sarah Nabholz said...

I agree with joven :)

But I really wanted to say, that I LOVE You've Got Mail. I've probably watched it more times than any other movie. One week when it was one of the E! channel "movies we love", I watched it 3 times in one week (they love their re-runs).

Also, it reminds me of our new york trip, which makes it even better :)