Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day.

Tonight my family went to this thing called Celebration at the Station at Union Station. The Kansas City Symphony performed and there were fireworks. My brother Joel covered Union Station and the entire evening on his blog and was way more informative and well-versed than I could ever be, so you should read about it here. As for me, what I loved about the evening:

1. The symphony. Holy cow... I've been wanting to go to the symphony for a while now and this was awesome. I still say that the moment the new Kaufmann Center for the Performing Arts open, I will be there enjoying the amazing music of the Kansas City Symphony.
2. The patriotic-ness (uh... I feel like there has to be a better word for this but I can't think of it.) I'm not always big on all the red, white, and blue, salute your flag, scream the Star Spangled Banner at the top of your lungs thing. But tonight, I was reminded of how cool it can be when everyone comes together... especially to celebrate all of the men and women who have served and are serving our country.
3. The fireworks. Fireworks are always fun... Especially when they are displayed right above a one of a kind World War I Memorial.
4. The company. I went with my parents, brother Joel, and aunt and uncle. Always a great time and lots of laughs with them. Plus we played games while waiting for the show to start, and I won, which is great! (Plus there were 50,000 other of my closest KC friends there.)
5. The weather. The whole evening everyone was convinced it was going to start pouring rain... but it didn't. It ended up being perfect!

Here are some pictures of my splendid night. Happy Memorial Day!

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Fun! I'd like to check this out next year. I also think the word you are looking for is patriotism. :)

Sarah Nabholz said...

I caught the end of it on TV. It looked like so much fun! I really liked the "Time for Three" group. I'm jealous that you got to see it all in person :)

Just so you know, I look forward to reading new posts on your blog and seeing what you're up to. So many of your posts are so positive, and about the wonderful little things in life that make you happy, and it is often just what I need to brighten my day.