Sunday, April 5, 2009

Art.

I re-fell in love with art tonight. A guy from Veritas, the campus ministry I'm involved in, created this movie/music/art thing called the Human Story that was a compilation of music and movie clips with some readings of writing as well. Anyway, I saw it tonight and it moved me. It was an indirect and beautiful way of conveying creation, the fall, and redemption. He only used one Bible verse and didn't use any clips from any "Jesus movies" but his message was totally conveyed.

Anyway, I loved it. I love the power of art and how God uses it and how it can really move people (I cried... a lot.) I'm reading a book called "Finding Common Ground" by Tim Downs and he addresses the use of art to further God's kingdom. He says:

"It isn't simply that we undervalue art--we fear it. Art is what happens when science gets sloppy. Art is what liberals do. Imaginative style and creativity become ends in themselves, and the message gets squeezed out. Good, solid expositional sermons get replaced by puppet shows and interpretive dance. To be fair, that can happen, but it doesn't have to... We must lose our fear of art without beginning to worship it. Art alone is no greater virtue than science alone. We must always work to strike a balance between the two--clear, scriptural thinking communicated in a powerful and relevant style."

I feel like what I saw tonight was just that. And I wouldn't mind dedicating my life to something like that either. I just love art and I love that God uses it in the ways that he does.

No comments: