Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cultural Immersion

I'm taking a Cross Cultural Psychology class that requires us to do different projects over the semester to basically better understand that everyone is different and that that's ok. Our last project is called the Cultural Immersion Project. We are supposed to go somewhere where we are the minority and experience it. Some people went to AA meetings, some people went to LGBT events, some people spent the day in a wheelchair, I (along with Valeria, who is also taking the class) went to Second Baptist, a predominantly black church.

It was such an interesting and enjoyable experience! We were, for sure, the minority and I felt it, but at the same time I never really felt out of place. We were welcomed by numerous people. I kept wondering, "Is this how they welcome all people or just white people?" I think they do welcome all people like that, the color of our skin just made it a little bit more obvious that we were visitors.

Anyway, I was just sitting there analyzing how it's true, things are a little different. Not just because we have a different color of skin, but culturally the people at that church worshiped different than I'm used to as well. The main thing that I took away from today though was that none of the different stuff mattered, the fact that I love Jesus and they love Jesus made everything feel right. I just thought that was cool.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

That's cool. For my Cross Cultural class we visited a Russian Orthodox Church. Very interesting and so different.