Friday, March 12, 2010

Lemons.

I love lemons. Ok, well, that's a false statement. I love the flavor of lemon... (I've never actually eaten a lemon.) I feel like it's either a flavor you love or you hate. I lean on the love side... the rest of my family not so much. I think it all started with my love for lemon drops and the times that my friend Mary and I would walk across the field to the nearby gas station to get them. I remember my mouth would be raw in no time with the combination of the sugary coating and citrusy juices... Anyway, the other day I was perusing Martha Stewart's website and saw one of her feature stories was on lemon desserts and it inspired me to bake a lemon cake. Talk about amazing! (I used her recipe. It and others like it can be found here.)
Many great things came out of this baking experience. One being I found a wonderful, moist, lemon cake recipe. (Tonight I used the same recipe to bake some cupcakes... We'll see if they turned out as well as the cake.) Two being that for the first time I successfully made a fluffy/meringue-y frosting. A while back I attempted to make a frosting and it never peaked or whatever and I've never tried again out of fear of failure... until the other day. This time it peaked and I was ecstatic. (Although I was successful, I think I still prefer butter based frosting recipes. It was still an accomplishment.) Mmm... I just love lemon!

3 comments:

Valeria said...

mmm i would LOVE a slice of this right now:)

April said...

How funny. I love lemons (and I have eaten many), but not the flavor lemon. I agree, you either love lemon-flavored things, or you don't. I think the same goes for grapes and grape-flavored.

Jessie said...

Good job on the pictures.