Friday, September 10, 2010

Heck yes, I CAN!

I love making things homemade that are often store bought, like... well, I can't actually think of any examples besides the one I'm about to blog about but just know that I love making things homemade that I would often just buy from the store. Exhibit A: Salsa! I made homemade salsa this week! Not Tostitos, or Margaritas, or Pace... but Abby-made. It was so exciting! My aunt Cindy mentioned that she wanted some homemade salsa but didn't really want to make it. I volunteered and two seconds later there was a 20 in my hand to go buy ingredients to make it... so I did! I even canned them... like legitimately canned them. I made homemade salsa, from wonderfully fresh produce, then I CANNED it with recycled Kerr jars... I feel so green or hippie or local or something. I don't know what it is I feel, but I do know that all of my liberal-ish friends would approve.

Anyway, why homemade salsa is great...
1. It was cheaper than buying store-bought salsa: only 9 dollars for all of the ingredients, granted we didn't pay for the tomatoes because they were all home grown by my cousin Dana. 2. Speaking of home grown tomatoes, how local is that?? (Well, they actually came from Sublette, KS but Joel had to make the drive anyway so extra gas wasn't wasted in their transportation so we'll still call 'em local)
3. It doesn't have any crazy ingredients... All natural, babay!
4. You, too, can have the satisfaction of saying you canned something.
5. Oh, and it tastes delicious!

Long story short... Homemade salsa = successfully delicious! The end.

All of the beautiful, fresh (minus the tomato
paste and sauce) ingredients!
Look at all those beautiful, fresh ingredients after
the food processor had its way with them...
Fresh cilantro may be my new favorite scent.
Boiling the jars to seal them. This part creeped me out
the most... I kept on have daydream-nightmare things
of the glass exploding and my face burning off from
the hot salsa and glass. Luckily... it didn't happen.
Tada!

2 comments:

Aunt Cindy said...

Looks good and tastes wonderful. Thanks for wanting to make it for me. You are my favorite salsa making niece.

Leigh Anne said...

Oh do share the recipie!! As well as your canning tips :)