Monday, September 6, 2010

Living at home.

Sometimes I feel ashamed for being a college graduate and moving back in with my parents and having no clear "move out" date in sight. The world says the order of life is this: elementary school, middle school, junior high school, college, get a job/move out of your parents house... There is no "move back into your parents house after you've lived on your own for 4 years because you can't find a good job or support yourself" in the world's picture of a successful life. And I am embarrassed sometimes, that I can't live up to the world's standards... I'm not going to lie.

But, when I forget what the world says (what does the world know anyway...) and think about my life as it truly is... I love living at home. (I know what you're thinking... What's not to love? Mooching off your parents while you try to figure out what to do with your life. But it's more than that...) I love sitting down and eating meals with my parents and brothers. I love relaxing on our comfy, suede-like couches. I love playing cards with my mom in the evenings. I love being around to hear about my brother Cory's tales of being a senior (man, it feels like just yesterday I was in college comp reading stories about yellow wallpaper that talks and a moth flying into a burning flame.) I love being around to hear and sometimes laugh :) at my dad's silly jokes. I love going up to my cozy, and perfectly "Abby" bedroom and having "me" time after everyone else has gone to be. I just love it.

So yes, the world tells me I shouldn't be doing this and that I should be doing whatever it takes to move out (and I'm working on it, don't worry; I know I can't do this forever.) But I love that I have a home and a family that is so special that I can come home to every day... I do love it.

1 comment:

Aunt Cindy said...

I love how you love family!