Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Kaldi's Window

Today I sat at Kaldi's, eating some wonderful Chicken Pueblo soup, listening to my iPod, and studying for a quiz. I sat at a bar seat that overlooks the big front window. Big mistake. I people watched more than I studied.... I wish I could have taken a picture, because I saw some interesting things. (The funny thing was that as I left the house I thought, "Should I bring my camera?" and answered to myself, "No, I'm just going to Kaldi's, there's nothing to take pictures of there...." Lesson #1 learned.)

I saw many things but the thing that stuck out the most was three very eccentric looking people playing very classic instruments: a violin, a cello and some kind of percussion instrument (I'm unsure of what kind because my view was obstructed by a trash can...) and I loved the sight of it! A few people were gathered around and I was curious to know what their music sounded like. There was a man really grooving to the music and I thought that was fun until I realized that he was listening to a CD player and was grooving to THAT music. I thought to myself, "What a shame... there is a cool, rare musical experience on the sidewalk 10 feet away from you but you are listening to your own CD player!"

Then I realized I was kind of doing the same thing. Although a little farther away than 10 feet, I was sitting there, listening to my iPod, not appreciating the rare gift of their music. I wish I could tell you that I got up then and there and went outside to hear them play, but I didn't, I kept studying. It has been bothering me all day though... Lesson #2 Learned: I need to stop and smell the roses more, or listen to the street musicians, or whatever...

No comments: