Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Long, but worth it.

I'm taking a class called Religion and Sexuality this semester and it has been quite interesting. My teacher's name is Bob and he is an ordained minister who preaches every Sunday. He has been incredibly neutral in discussion; everything is gray. I never realized until this semester how black and white I like things to be. While I have enjoyed this class, I have been very frustrated with how "tolerant" and neutral all of the discussion has been. I've been frustrated with Bob because people are asking him questions that are opportunities for him to speak for Christ, but he doesn't.

Today my outlook changed. He was talking about what the definition of an evangelical Christian is (because we have been reading this horrid book that rips them apart) and he totally and completely preached the Gospel. Not in a way that said, "This is what you should believe," rather, "This is what they believe." Either way, the truth about sin, God, Jesus, and the cross was communicated to about 30 students in a liberal college classroom. Maybe the environment and the way it was communicated wasn't how I'm used to, but it was spoken nonetheless. When I realized what was going on... I got goosebumps and almost started crying. Ridiculous, I know, but true.

The whole situation reminds me of what we are reading about in my Bible study in Philippians. Paul said,
"It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivaly, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice." (Philippians 1:15-18)
And because of this I rejoice.

1 comment:

Valeria said...

so cool! thanks for sharing that, i love that you got goosebumps:) those are the best moments.