Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wow...

Yesterday in my Cross Cultural Psychology class we did this activity where we were basically supposed to guess the populations of the world that fulfilled certain criteria and then she gave us the real statistics. For example, how many women vs. men, how many people of different religions, countries, languages, etc. Nothing really surprised me until the last few topics. Here they were:

-40% of the world's population cannot read
-33% have access to clean drinking water
-7% own a car
-1% have a college degree
-.1% own a computer

I easily have access to all of the above. I have been able to read since kindergarten. Even the water in my own toilet is drinkable (for the most part...) I have my own car. I am one semester away from obtaining my college degree. I have my own laptop.

Overall, I'm shocked and thankful. I just wanted to put these statistics out there because they reminded me how blessed I am. And how much I want to help the rest of the world who isn't as fortunate.

2 comments:

Cory said...

Cross Cultural Psychology? How to relate with dogs? Human sexuality? You take the most random classes.

Jessie said...

You could totally drink out of my toilet. Potter & Frodo have, in fact, I think Liam may have even tasted the Kool-Aid...plus, I just cleaned them.