Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Records!

Last night, I hung out with my family in Olathe and my cousin Brad and I threw out the idea that we should go to the Plaza and play music on the streets and see if we could make some money. It was late so we decided to start planning for another night and started picking songs instead. He played guitar and sang and I sang and it was fun just being musical together. Singalongs are the greatest!

Somewhere along the way the song "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" came up and we were discussing who it was originally by. Brad knew all along that it was Marvin Gaye (and Tammi Terrell) but my aunt Cindy was convinced it was the Supremes or someone of the sort. She started looking through her old records to see if she had it and it was so fun for me to see the records and album covers. With each album she pulled out she discussed memories and we would sing a few lines of each band's classics. She had Jackson 5, Carole King, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, James Taylor, the Supremes, the Mamas & the Papas... you name it. (Pretty much everything except for Marvin Gaye, ha...)

Anyway, it was so much to walk down musical memory lane. It made me a bit sad because what will I do when I become an aunt or a grandma? "Here kids! Take a look at my computer screen. When I was a kid we bought files on iTunes..." Definitely not as much fun as looking at records.... Maybe I'll start investing in some!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Now that is a fun way to look at my "dust collecting" albums.

I like how you have that positive attitude.

I will leave them all in my will to you. Love ya