Saturday, November 26, 2011

Day 26: Transportation

Day 26: Transportation
I didn't remember until about 20 minutes ago that I hadn't blogged for today. Today's challenge was to take a picture of Transportation. I was going to go out and take a picture of my beloved Honda Civic but then I decided: 1. It's dark and late. 2. It's cold. So I thought I'd be creative (if you can even call it creativity, maybe it's just laziness...) and take a picture of my keys instead.

I'm incredibly grateful for my car. I have a hefty 35 minute drive to and from work every day so transportation is pretty much a necessity for me. Last week I had a scare because I was out driving and my car died. I was accelerating and it decided that it had had enough and stopped accelerating and so I just rolled to a stop... in the middle of the road... with no shoulder. My brother Kyle saved the day: I called him and he pushed me and my car quite a ways to safety then took me home. Then my brother Cory went and checked my oil for me (because I suspected that was what it was because I suck at remembering to check my oil.) I was, indeed, completely out and started worrying because that's the one thing my dad preaches to me on a regular basis: "Abby, you have to check your oil or bad things will happen!" My dad came home and didn't give me the tongue lashing that I deserved for not remembering to do what he has told me. Instead he went and checked on my car and waited for the tow truck to get it to our mechanic. (How blessed am I to have such special men in my life!) I was pretty worried that I had flat out killed my engine because of the oil situation and was preparing myself to have to buy a new engine. But guess what... I got lucky. And the thing that was wrong was actually my distributor, so it only cost $300 to fix (including an oil change... you know, since I was completely out) compared to the $2000 that I was prepared to shell out for a new engine.

All that to say... 1. I'm thankful that I have a decent car. 2. I'm thankful that the fix was pretty minor last week 3. The I was given a free pass, a wake up call, to be more diligent about checking my oil before something truly bad happens. (Holy long post about dumb car issues... sorry, I guess I'm a bit wordy tonight.)

No comments: